Preparatory Year - Course of Czech Language for Foreigners
In addition to Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral Degree study programmes, Metropolitan University Prague offers an intensive two-semester course of Czech for Foreigners within its Lifelong Learning Programme. The course guarantees high-quality instruction and is designed for applicants who would like learn Czech in order to attend university study programmes in the Czech Republic that are taught in Czech.
The classes are based on communicative approach and the instructors are recruited from the ranks of university professors and professional language instructors. The structure of the course is designed to ensure rapid improvement of its participants.
- in order to sign the Lifelong Learning Programme Contract, the applicant must pay the tuition fees effective for the Preparatory Year - Course of Czech Language for Foreigners within the framework of the Lifelong Learning Programme in full and in compliance with the relevant internal regulations of MUP, as amended.
- at least 70% attendance in classes
- minimum result of 60% in the written examination at the end of the first semester (January/February)
Successful Completion of the Course
- minimum result of 60% in the final examination - the participant can understand written and spoken Czech, speak and write on the B1/B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
Contents of the Course
- grammar, conversation, vocabulary, specific terminilogy, basic facts and figures of the Czech Republic (culture, history, and current issues)
- culture-oriented field trips enabling the participants to practice the acquired language skills in real-life situations
- opportunity to attend courses of another foreign language of the participant's choice (English, French, German, Russian, or Spanish) throughout the academic year and two selected specialised courses in Czech or in English offered at MUP in the summer semester
Important: Participants of the Lifelong Learning Programme are not, pursuant to Section 60, Article 3 of Act no. 111/1998 Coll., on Higher Education Institutions and on Modification and Amendment of Other Acts, as amended (Higher Education Act), students within the intention of the Higher Education Act. Therefore, if applying for a long-term Visa to the Czech Republic, the purpose of stay should be "other" and its specification, for instance, „education – preparation for further studies in the Czech Republic“.
Academic Year Schedule 2017/2018
- academic year: 1. 10. 2017 - 30. 9. 2018
- recommended arrival to the Czech Republic: at the latest by 30. 9. 2017
- beginning of instruction: 16. 10. 2017
- end of instruction: 8. 6. 2018
- retake examinations: by 30. 9. 2018
Organisation of Instruction
- 30 weeks
- every working day 4 x 45 mins (detailed timetable will be specified in September 2017)
- individual approach
Place of Instruction
Certificate of Completion
- MUP Certificate attesting to the acquired language level – the Certificate is recognised as equivalent to the entrance examination in the Czech language at MUP and it raises chances when applying for admission to other higher education institutions or when seeking employment; or
- confirmation of attendance in case of failure to complete the final examination
Bc. Ivana Grospietschová
mobile: +420 724 357 280
- duly completed application form to study within the framework of Lifelong Learning Programme including the motivation questionnaire in one of the following languages: English, French, German, Russian, or Spanish - application deadline by 30 September of the relevant year; in case of applicants who are required to apply for Visa by 31 July of the relevant year
- payment of the administrative fee for operations relating to the admission procedure
- legally attested (certified/notarised) copy of the applicant's high-school or university diploma
- absolute beginner in Czech – the course is designed for applicants without previous knowledge of Czech
Completed secondary or tertiary education - legally attested (certified/notarised) copy of high-school/university diploma or its equivalent in case of education completed abroad - is required for enrolment in the course.