Semester-long Course of the English Language
Metropolitan University Prague offers an intensive semester-long course of the English language within the Lifelong Learning Programme. The course guarantees high-quality instruction and is designed for pre-intermediate and intermediate users of the English language, primarily for those who would like to improve their English knowledge in order to attend university study programmes that are taught in English in the Czech Republic (e.g. Anglophone Studies, Asian Studies and International Relations, International Business, International Relations and European Studies at MUP) or abroad, however, their language competences do not meet the admission requirements to such programmes.
The course aims to develop communication skills of its participants and to teach them to discuss academic issues, understand complex terminology, and to work with specialised texts. The classes are based on communicative approach and the instructors are recruited from the ranks of university professors and professional language instructors.
- at least 70% attendance in classes
Successful Completion of the Course
- minimum result of 60% in the final examination - the participant can understand written and spoken English, speak and write on the B2/C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
Contents of the Course
- grammar, conversation, reading, listening, vocabulary, specific terminology, basic facts and figures of English-speaking countries (culture, history, and current issues)
- culture-oriented field trips enabling the participants to practice the acquired language skills in real-life situations
- opportunity to attend courses of another foreign language of the participant's choice (Czech for Foreigners, French, German, Russian, or Spanish) throughout the academic year and two selected specialised courses in English in the summer semester offered at MUP
Important: Participants of the Lifelong Learning Programme are not, pursuant to Section 60, Article 3 of Act no. 111/1998 Coll., on Higher Education Institutions and on Modification and Amendment of Other Acts, as amended (Higher Education Act), students within the intention of the Higher Education Act. Therefore, if applying for a long-term Visa to the Czech Republic, the purpose of stay should be "other" and its specification, for instance, "education – preparation for further studies in the Czech Republic".
Academic Year Schedule 2016/2017
- academic year 2016/2017: 1. 10. 2016 - 30. 9. 2017
- recommended arrival to the Czech Republic: at the latest by 13. 2. 2017
- beginning of instruction: 27. 2. 2017
- end of instruction: 9. 6. 2017
- retake examinations: by 30. 9. 2017
Organisation of Instruction
- 15 weeks
- every working day 4 x 45 mins (20 hours a week; detailed timetable will be specified in February 2017)
- individual approach
Place of Instruction
Certificate of Completion
- MUP Certificate attesting to the acquired language level – the Certificate is recognised as equivalent to the entrance examination in the English language at MUP and it raises chances when applying for admission to other higher education institutions or when seeking employment; or
- confirmation of attendance in case of failure to complete the final examination
- payment of the administrative fee for operations relating to the admission procedure
- legally attested (certified/notarised) copy of the applicant's high-school or university diploma
- basic knowledge of English – the course is designed for intermediate applicants
APPLICATION FORM AND MOTIVATION QUESTIONNAIRE
Duly completed application form to study within the framework of Lifelong Learning Programme including the motivation questionnaire in English - application deadline: by 24 February 2017, in case of applicants who are required to apply for visa by 30 November 2016). The motivation questionnaire must be completed in the English language and submitted together with the application form (in case of electronic applictions, please upload the motivation questionnaire directly in the application or send it by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Online test in the ENGLISH Language
Once your application is submitted and confirmed, you will receive a login combination for an online placement test (not applicable for applicants who were not successful in the English test during the entrance examination to Bachelor's and Master's degree study programmes conducted at MUP). Required level of English knowledge is B1/B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Completed secondary or tertiary education - legally attested (certified/notarised) copy of high-school/university diploma or its equivalent in case of education completed abroad - is required for enrolment in the course.