Assistant Professor of International Relations
The Department of International Relations and European Studies (IRES) of Metropolitan University Prague (MUP) is opening a position of Assistant Professor of International Relations (IR). We seek a scholar with expertise in general IR, with a preference for specialization in geopolitics and or international political economy.
MUP ranks among the oldest and largest private universities in the Czech Republic, which provides education to approximately 4000 students. MUP offers study programmes in the area of the humanities, international territorial studies, legal specialisations, media and communication studies, and international economic relations in both full-time and part-time forms of study in Czech as well as English. Metropolitan University Prague provides education in Bachelor Degree, Master Degree and Doctoral Degree study programmes. It is a leading Czech centre of teaching and research in the field of international relations and EU studies.
The successful candidate will be based at the IRES department which prides itself for an intellectually stimulating, fully internationalised teaching and research environment (English is our working language). S/he will be expected to participate in lecturing students of IR, European and regional studies, in English at both undergraduate and graduate level. The successful candidate is also expected to conduct and publish original research, participate in ongoing research programs at the department, and apply for external research funding (on national and international level). The successful candidate is expected to reside in Prague.
We offer attractive remuneration, flexible working hours, ability to cooperate in a diverse and highly skilled research team and the possibility to use university resources including library, remote access to databases and travel support for international conferences. The successful candidate will be offered a full-time employment contract (1,0/40 hours per week) for 12 months in accordance with the law of the Czech Republic (including healthcare insurance coverage, social benefits and pension contributions, and 8 weeks of paid holidays). Pending a performance review, it is expected that the employment contract will be renewed for an indefinite time period.
- A Ph.D. degree in International relations, political science or related fields
- Teaching experience and ability to teach between 96 - 120 teaching hours (40 minutes) per semester
- Proficiency level of English
- Proven publication record in peer-reviewed international journals, academic books or book chapters published by respected publishing houses
- Experience with research funding applications
How to apply
Please submit your applications via e-mail to the Head of Department at firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th of December by the latest. We will invite several promising applicants to on-line interviews shortly after this date.
Materials to be submitted
- CV and a list of publications
- Letter of application including your experience in teaching and applying/participating in research grants
- Copy of the PhD diploma. If the writing system/script used in the diploma is not Latin (but, for example, Cyrillic, Chinese, Arabic or some other) it must be coupled with a Latin script university certificate or official translation in English.
- Names and contact details of two reference persons
- A copy of one recent academic publication that is considered best by the applicant
Successful applicant will be expected to start in February/March 2021. It may be negotiated based on individual circumstances. MUP is a fair opportunity employer.
Mats Braun, Head of Department, International Relations and European Studies, MUP, email@example.com, +420 725 510 124.